Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Low GI Apple Oatbran Mini Muffins

I have been experimenting with different muffin and breakfast bread recipes that fit into the low GI diet that I'm following, and so far, everything has been pretty bad. So I decided to create my own recipe. I perused the internet and combined 3 different oatbran muffin recipes, and added my own twist to them too. The final result was fabulous! Rev and the boys liked them. We plan on eating these for breakfasts and snacks. I will attempt to freeze some, too. Here's the recipe I came up with:

1 cup oat bran
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
3 TBSP Splenda Brown Sugar blend
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 4-oz container of nonfat, sugar free or low sugar vanilla flavored yogurt (I used Walmart's GV brand Benefit vanilla yogurt)
3/4 cup skim milk
1/4 cup egg beaters original
1 small apple, chopped
1 Tbsp canola oil
Combine all ingredients. preheat oven to 375 degrees. grease mini-muffin pan or use mini muffin papers. fill 3/4 with batter, and bake for 16-18 minutes.

Variations: substitute blueberries or strawberries for the apple; substitute semi sweet chocolate chips and 1 tsp vanilla extract, and leave out cinnamon.
Hope you enjoy!

No comments: