It's that time again, Menu Plan Monday! I made my tentative menu plan last Friday, but it is subject to change at any moment due to the Hurrican blowing over my house at this moment. We are still following the low gi diet plan, and it is going well, despite majorly cheating yesterday at our Church's Homecoming Fellowship Lunch. So, without further ado, here it is:
M~ LABOR DAY ~ Low carb burgers, black-eyed pea salad
T~ Lentil haystacks
W~Southwestern Tilapia, steamed green beans
T~Crockpot Turkey Black Bean Chili (recipe below)
F~Free For All
S~ Crispy Yogurt Chicken, roasted veggies (with low GI variations)
S~ Crockpot low GI roast with sour cream gravy, steamed green beans, wild rice (recipe below)
Low Carb burgers:
1 lb ground beef
1/2 yellow onion, diced finely
1/2 zucchini, grated
2 tsp worchestershire sauce
1 tsp grill seasoning
Pepper Jack Cheese, cut into cubes
Large Leaf Bibb lettuce
2 Roma tomatos, sliced
Condiments per your taste
Mix the ground beef through grill seasoning well, divide into 4 equal parts. Take 1-2 cubes of pepper jack cheese (depening on your taste) and form one of the parts of the hamburger mixture around the cheese to form a burger pattie, repeat for all patties. Grill the burgers until cooked through.
To serve, take a large bibb lettuce leaf, spread with some mayo (or condiment of your choice), them place one burger on top. Top with tomato slices, spinach, and more mayo (Ranch dressing is awesome here, too) Then, wrap bibb lettuce leaf up around burger to become the "Bun". Enjoy!
Crockpot Turkey & Black Bean Chili :
1 lb ground white turkey
1 cup chopped onion
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 jalepeno, diced
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp each salt, black pepper, and cumin
2 cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can black beans, drained
1 can (14 oz)chicken broth
1 cup frozen corn (optional)
Brown Turkey in nonstick skillet. When browned, pour into Crock Pot, add all other ingredients, and mix well. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve topped with light sour cream and reduced fat cheddar cheese.
Crockpot Low GI Roast with Sour Cream Gravy:
Pot Roast with Sour Cream Gravy G.I. rating is VERY LOW
2-1/2 pounds eye round roast
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 packet lipton's onion soup mix
1 can beef consumme
1/2 cup strong coffee
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
Gravy:1/2 cup nonfat or light sour cream
3 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
1. Trim the meat of visible fat, rinse with cool water, and pat it dry with paper towels. Sprinkle all sides of the roast with some of the black pepper.
2. Heat 1 tbsp canola oil in skillet, Brown meat in skillet over med-high heat, then place the meat in Crock pot. Deglaze the skillet with the coffee, then add in the soup mix, beef consumme, and spices, stir and scrape off all brown pieces stuck in skillet, then pour over roast.
3. Set crock pot to low, and cook 8 hours, or until roast is fork tender.
4. To make the gravy, combine the sour cream and 1/2 cup of the pan juices in a blender (I just used a whisk) and blend until smooth. Add flour, and blend until smooth. Set aside.
5. Pour the remaining pan juices into a measuring cup. Add water if necessary to bring the volume up to 1 cup. (If there is more than 1 cup of liquid, return it to the pot and cook uncovered over medium-high heat for a few minutes to reduce the volume to 1 cup.) Return the pan juices to the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for about 5 minutes. Slowly add the flour mixture while stirring constantly with a wire whisk. Cook and stir for a minute or two, or until the gravy is thickened and bubbly.
6. Slice the roast thinly across the grain, and serve accompanied by the gravy
I now make and sell home made soaps!
7 years ago