Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Aftermath of Gustav

Well, yesterday, we sat inside watching hurricane Gustav blow through, waiting to see if we would lose power and phones or not. Thankfully, We lost power only for a couple of hours overnight, and it was back on by 6am, so we didn't even miss it. We escaped any major damage except for some downed branches in our yard (many thanks to Rev and his Friend Jim who dilligently hammered down new shingles on our roof Sunday)!
Needless to say, though, we all had a bit of cabin fever by the end of yesterday. My creative boys played "tranpoline" in the living room on the couch cushions, then moved on to practice for their future architecture degree by building forts on the living room floor. They also practiced their engineering by building train tracks. They watched more Ducktails episodes than I thought existed. By the end of the day, they we BEGGING me to take them to Pump It Up. Of course, Pump It Up was not open during the hurricane, so they took it upon themselves to make their own home version. They put the guest room mattress off the bed and onto the floor, then "decorated" for their party with streamers (t-shirts hung over doorknobs) and we ate pretend cake. They jumped for a good 30-45 minutes straight and had a great time. (And I did promise to take them to the real Pump It Up soon).
Anyway, Today, we just HAD to get out of the house. I needed to do some grocery shopping, so we decided to drive into Mobile, go grocery shopping and go to Blue Rabbit (kinda like Chuck E Cheese, but better food, less arcade games, and a bigger indoor playground) I decided to try a new place for my groceries, Jimmy Lowes Fruit Stand. A local favorite in mobile, with great fresh produce for great prices. I was So pleased! I ended up spending $19.05 (Including tax) for my produce, and this is what I got:
1 bunch parsley
5 gala apples
3 bartlett pears
1 2-pint package strawberries
2 large zucchini
4 roma tomatoes
1 package baby spinach
1 package salad mix
1 lb green beans
1 lb pink eyed peas (I'm assuming these are like black eyed peas, but we'll see)
1 bunch asparagus
1 lemon
1 red bell pepper
1 red onion
(I think that's everything, and I will definately be going back to Jimy Lowes Fruit Stand)
Of course, I had to go to super walmart for everything else.
Now, we're home, supper is finished, and after I get the boys to bed, I've got to clean up from our Hurrican adventures yesterday!

No comments: